david schildknecht riesling report 2013

• Autor
  • Nachricht

Dick

• Bilder: 0
  • Bewertungssystem: Auf Benutzername klicken

david schildknecht riesling report 2013

BeitragSa 27. Apr 2013, 18:51

Bin sehr neugierig auf die Ergebnisse...............
Mit freundlichen Grüßen aus Holland,
Dick

Neuppy

Re: david schildknecht riesling report 2013

BeitragSo 28. Apr 2013, 12:02

Hallo,
sehe ich das richtig, daß für Schildknecht Deutschland nur noch aus Nahe, Rheinhessen und Mosel besteht.
Das wäre ja sowas von lächerlich....
Grüße Peter

harti

• Bilder: 11

BeitragSo 28. Apr 2013, 17:16

Hallo Peter,

leider ist DS nicht so produktiv wie seine Kollegen ....

Grüße

Hartmut

mixalhs

• Bilder: 0

BeitragDo 9. Mai 2013, 20:31

... und wann kommt nun der Report, der hier groß angekündigt wurde?

Moselfan

BeitragFr 10. Mai 2013, 22:11

"The Mosel in 2011: More Gifts of Nature

This is a vintage with many pretty and accessible Mosel Rieslings but also a minority that scale the absolute heights of possible quality. Where there are some outright disappointments, this is most often in the realm of botrytis wine, and for reasons I discussed in further detail in my full introduction in issue 205 to the 2011 German Riesling vintage. Many 2011s don’t have the acidity to ideally support nobly sweet bottlings – especially at often record-setting must weights – or to lend them a sense of energy and next-sip enticement. But here, too, there are some that will become legends. Markus Molitor points toward the dominance of efficacious tartaric rather than malic acid and the low dry extract (specifically potassium) of the vintage as critical in lowering pH and causing wines to taste higher in total acidity than they are, noting that this is exactly the opposite of the buffering and high malic that in 2010 could make for Rieslings that tasted lower in acidity than their often shocking analyses revealed. Willi Schaefer commented in a very similar vein (see my coverage of his wines below). But if these effects can explain some of the great successes of either vintage, why are there so many too-flaccid 2011s and screechy 2010s?

While the best 2011 vintage Mosel Rieslings, as noted, make do with surprisingly low levels of acidity without sacrificing vivacity or primary juiciness, it must also be noted that even among the ostensibly top-performers on whom I routinely report, notably higher acid levels coupled with less harmonious results can safely – whether or not their producers will confess to it – be assumed to have undergone acidification, something that would have been thought not only unnecessary but unheard of among German Riesling growers prior to 2003. But with the allowance to acidify in 2003 came the possibility, depending on vintage character, of permitting this option in future.

As for other successes in the Middle Mosel, these are quite well-distributed across the stylistic range. So, for instance, while many growers remarked on the difficulty if not near impossibility of harvesting genuinely delicate and refreshing Kabinett in such a ripe vintage – and given that to harvest early, i.e. at the end of September or in the first week of Ocotber, meant picking in the heat – others succeeded brilliantly. There are some relatively foursquare, inelegant dry Rieslings, but there are also some superb successes in that stylistic sector. As for botrytis, as explained in further detail in my general introduction to this German Riesling vintage in issue 205, its concentrating effects were not always entirely felicitous. In its advanced stages, it made possible many record-breaking wines; but even allowing for those among them that had not yet finished fermenting late last year or are still unfinished, it's clear that only a few of these record-breakers are truly exceptional.

On the occasion of this most recent visit, Daniel Vollenweider made a potentially telling observation concerning changing ripening patterns. He assumes that climate change plays a significant role in the increasing tendency for Riesling to get harvested at higher must weights, and for growers to opine that they have to take high sugars into account in reaching ripe flavors. But he thinks we ought not to ignore the ever more frequent and heavier spraying of botryticides (which he eschews), something that's prompted in large part by the more frequent conjunction of humidity and warmth in late summer, but which results in ripening of the grape skins being significantly retarded, while accretion of sugar proceeds unrestrained.

These notes appearing in both the print and on-line editions of The Wine Advocate will be supplemented by on-line accounts of additional collections from the Mosel and those of the Saar and Ruwer. As detailed in my general introduction in issue 205 to Germany's 2011 Riesling vintage, my notes are based on visits to the estates in late August and early September of last year, in the present instance supplemented by limited re-tasting. "

Zurück zu Deutschland